Recapping Satellite’s 2017-18 Year in Sports

Our mascot, the scorpion.

Our mascot, the scorpion.

Emilio Zipf, Staff

The year Satellite’s sports teams triumphed as one of the best athletic programs in the district.

The football team transitioned into the independent division, producing one of the most high powered offenses in Satellite history, and won the Hero’s Bowl against Father Lopez.

The volleyball team made it districts for the first time in ten years, and finished as a district runner-up.

The cross country team finished with a fifth place finish at state for the girls, and a second place finish for the boys along with two district champs, a region champ, and runner-up in the region.

The swim team improved from last year, and won all of their meets, and achieved a girls district championship and 5th for the boys at district.

The bowling team rebounded from losing many seniors this year, and bowled well, representing Satellite proudly.

The golf team excelled this year, with a district championship for the girls, and a runner up at districts for the boys in a successful fall season.

The girls soccer team had a strong record off 11 wins, 7 losses, and 2 ties and a fourth place finish at districts. The boys also played hard all year, ending with a record of 8 wins, 9 losses, and 4 ties.

The boys basketball team fought their way to the district championship game and qualified for regions with an overall record of 16 win and 10 losses. The girls basketball team dedicated themselves to improving their young players and overall play as a team.

The wrestlers held strong against tough competition in our district and conference.

The girls lacrosse team played with determination, racking up 6 wins, including great performances against West Shore and Merritt Island. The boys also had some impressive games, especially against Eau Gallie and Melbourne.

The baseball team claimed a district championship, and advanced into regionals, ending the season with 19 wins, 7 losses, and 1 tie.

The softball team persevered in many close games, such as wins against Titusville and Palm Bay.

The boys track team won districts and claimed their first region title ever, along with a fifth place finish at state. The girls advanced athletes to both region and state and performed well.

The boys tennis team played exemplary, getting runner-up at district, and qualifying for regions. The girls gave a strong effort all year, especially with their hard fought win over Eau Gallie.

All teams will be remembering the impact seniors had on the field, track, pool, and court, along with looking forward to new freshman improving their teams next year.

About the Writer
Emilio Zipf, Staff

I am Emilio Zipf, a senior at Satellite High School. I write articles about student life which includes new trends, things that go on, and literally anything...