Filed under News, Opinion, Showcase

Satellite’s New Short Days

This school year, Brevard Schools changed their early release days from Wednesdays to Fridays. Schools like Satellite that normally end their days at 3:30 pm will now release students at 2:15pm on Friday.

During the 2015-2016 school year, BPS issued that every Wednesday, schools will have an early release day for K-12 students. The reasoning for their initial change was to give teachers more planning and grading time, along with time to communicate with parents if need be. According to Brevard teachers, the school board has cut their planning time to save money. Essentially, this means that instead of the average high school teacher teaching a class full of 30 students for 5 out of 7 periods a day, having 2 periods for planning and grading, teachers now teach 6 periods out of 7 with 1 period to plan and grade: Teachers had more students and less time to work. Then, in July of 2015, BPS decided to start early release days the following school year in order to gain back time for their teachers; however, teachers are still required to work full school days on early release days, except for parent-teachers of students. These parents discussed how the new early release schedule would have had them scrambling to try to pick up their students from school, as they would not be able to get out of work in time. Of course, most schools offer after care programs, but those are not free.

Now, this 2018-2019 school year, short days have been moved, and parents may have to do that all over again. This new decision was suggested in order to benefit high school students who attended Eastern Florida State College during the school day: When early release was on Wednesday, EFSC students were pulled out of class to attend college and missed valuable time in their high school classes. Since there’s no classes at EFSC on Fridays, EFSC students wouldn’t miss school time during then.

Senior Gianni Earnest discloses, “Honestly, I prefered [for the short days to be] on Wednesday, you know. It’s just a break in the middle of the week.” In opposition to Earnest’s comment, senior Clara Lavrador selects optimism and claims, “I like it, because it kinda gives you a longer weekend.” On preferring which day she favors, Lavrador stated, “I like to try to find the positive in everything, so I’m pretty neutral.”

Ninth grader Caia Luchsinger expresses that she “wants short days so [she] can go home and sleep,” whereas tenth grader Ryan Conley adds, “I feel that I have more time to get homework done [and] more time to talk to teachers.” When asked about how he feels about short days being moved from Wednesday to Fridays, ninth grader Caden Baker replied,  “I like [the decision]―it’s cool,” and added that he’ll “chill with friends” during the extra hour on Friday. On whether he feels indifferent on the short days changing, Conley adds, “Oh I do. With the short days being on Wednesday, it’s a break in the middle of the week and, now, that’s taken away. It messes everyone up and I really dislike it.”

Overall, it seems that the majority of the student body agrees that with the short days being on Wednesday, there was a pause on the middle of the week for you to catch your breath, do most of your work, or relax. Then, all that was left was Thursday, to be followed by everyone’s favorite day, Friday. Now, that sequence is taken away.

About the Writer
Jazzarie Dawkins, Creative Director

Senior. Iced Coffee Aficionado. Fish Mom. Future writer.