Filed under Student Life

Tips for Practicing Mindfulness

How wonderful would it be if you could let go of all your stress in a matter of minutes? To feel the weight of the world finally let up and be able to put your energy into more positive and productive matters. Achieving this sense of calm is indeed possible through mindfulness, and practicing it requires nothing more than an open mind.

If you’re looking to embark on this journey to finding your inner peace, you ought to know the definition of mindfulness. To put it simply, it’s a method of meditation used in one’s everyday life to reduce stress and enhance your ability to work more calmly and efficiently. Often when people hear the word “meditation,” they think of those ancient monks with their legs crossed and arms resting gently on their knees, humming a deep tone. But, like I said, that would be a truly ancient form of meditation. Mindfulness requires nothing more than a peaceful setting and just a few minutes of your time.

When practicing mindfulness, it’s important that you understand two things. Firstly, this isn’t going to change you as a person; however, it will clear your head and enable you to finish tasks in a timely manner. Secondly, you shouldn’t focus solely on the benefits you wish to receive through practicing this form of meditation; that simply leads to more stress.

The place in which you choose to meditate will more or less determine how beneficial your session ends up being. One essential factor to meditating is being able to tune into your surroundings, so be sure to select an environment that calms you and makes you feel welcome.

To get started, sit or lay in the most comfortable position possible. Make sure no part of your body is straining, and work on slowing your breathing. This will help lower your heart rate whilst further relaxing the rest of your body.

Since the physical tension is gone, it’s time to decide on your mantra. A mantra is a word or sound that you repeat internally to help clear your head. Your mantra can be anything  that motivates you or puts you at ease; just be sure to keep it short and sweet. Though you don’t need to repeat your mantra every time you meditate, it’s generally helpful to do so as a beginner.

Now, we have reached the tricky part, the concept of “focusing on nothing.” Once you’ve fully managed to empty your mind, you’ll surely understand why meditation is such a powerful outlet. Your mantra will help you to center your thoughts, but it won’t do all the work for you. Make sure you’re as comfortable as humanly possible; you can use pillows and blankets to ensure that every limb and ligament in your body is at ease. Once you’ve done so take in a deep breath and slowly exhale, allowing any and all stress to leave your body. This is typically known as a “cleansing breath.” The power in this breath is different than that of any other you’ve taken before this moment. As you exhale, envision your weaknesses turning into strengths―that your mind and body are no longer holding you back. Finally, scan your body for any tension. Close your eyes and wiggle your toes. Acknowledge their existence and the purpose they serve as a part of you; touch them with your thoughts, not by opening your eyes or reaching down to grab them. Do this to every part of your body until you reach the very top of your head. Once finished, have a moment of gratitude, for there are so many wonderful opportunities and little gifts that we take for granted in this life.

You must whittle your stressors down to their purest form and deny them power over your happiness. This practice is all about freeing yourself, so only consider the here and now, because wasting time and energy on things that haven’t even happened―along with things you can’t control―is simply pointless; your life is way more valuable than that.

About the Writer
Riley Thomas, Staff

I don't find myself to be interesting, but hopefully you will. I'm just a freshman who likes watching horror movies and having philosophical conversations...

1 Comment

One Response to “Tips for Practicing Mindfulness”

1. rohseyx on September 21st, 2018 10:43 pm

Great article and even better for a first piece. Always happy to see next generations of telstar writers

Tips for Practicing Mindfulness