Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Reality of Birthdays

Birthdays are known to be a highly anticipated holiday because it gives people a chance to celebrate themselves. The idea of planning a party, getting flooded with gifts, and being surrounded by good friends leads to holding high expectations. Sometimes, though, having too high of hopes causes us to become disappointed when the day arrives, and we end up wondering why we look forward to it every year.

When I begin planning a birthday party, I get excited, thinking about how much fun it will be and inviting all of my closest friends to celebrate with me; however, when the day of the party arrives, either all of my friends arrive at the same time and the party starts immediately or they all come in 10-minutes intervals. Everyone has a great time, but there’s always that one friend who isn’t outgoing enough to match the energy that everyone else has and doesn’t have a good time. My more extroverted friends split off to do something together, while some others just look lonely on the sidelines. It makes me feel bad that not everyone’s having fun, so, at that point my enthusiasm begins to deflate.

Suddenly, the best part of the party comes: opening presents. I say it’s the best part, but it’s actually my least favorite part. I definitely love to receive gifts from my friends and family, but. when I’m opening presents, everyone’s watching me to see my reaction to each and every present. I try to show a good reaction because I really do appreciate everything, but it’s not an easy thing to when there’s so much pressure to look overjoyed. This year for my birthday, instead of opening gifts at my party I just opened them in the privacy of my room afterwards to avoid that situation.

Having a birthday on a school day is my worst nightmare. The worst part is that there’s really no escape from people knowing my birthday, because the school news shows everyone’s, even on the weekends. The reason I hate people knowing my birthday at school is because when someone says “Happy birthday!” I don’t know how to respond. I’m a shy person and don’t end up saying “thank you” a lot or even talking for that matter, so I usually just have to smile as my way of thanking them. There is also one more reason that I don’t like birthdays and I always feel triumphant when I avoid it: the “Happy Birthday” song. I know I can’t be the only one who is basically terrified of that song. When someone in my class mentions that it’s my birthday and everyone starts singing, I feel like I could just jump out of a window. Everyone’s watching me and I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to not look awkward even though it’s the most uncomfortable experience in the world.

While I never look forward to my birthday anymore, I try to look for all of the great parts about that day. For example, when I got to school on my birthday I saw a double rainbow which I haven’t seen for a while. I also survived the entire day without anyone singing to me and I honestly felt like I won the Olympics because of it.

Birthdays can sometimes be an agonizing experience, but looking at all of the great things throughout the day can help you to appreciate it a bit more.

About the Writer
Shania Campbell, Staff

My name is Shania Campbell and I’m in my second year as a Telstar staff member. I’m a very secretive and quiet person with just about everyone, so,...