Filed under News, Showcase

A Briefing on Midterm Elections

Senior Jayme Owen registering to vote.

Senior Jayme Owen registering to vote.

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen

Senior Jayme Owen registering to vote.

The General Midterm Election is rapidly approaching: November 6, 2018, is only a few weeks away, and the final sprint to candidacy has begun.

For the gubernatorial election, Democrat Andrew Gillum and Republican Ron DeSantis are aiming to succeed Rick Scott, current Florida Governor. Scott is also running against Bill Nelson for US Senate, so there are multifarious tensions in the air. This election is certainly following the trend of party polarization, so it will be difficult to project the winner until the votes are counted.

Along with the nationwide elections, there are several Florida-focused and local election matters. VoteBrevard.com lists all of the candidates for all elections and provides valuable information on where you can vote, based on your place of residency.

In fact, a select few of Satellite’s population are eligible to vote. While many pre-register when they get their driver’s license, there will be a voter registration booth on campus for those who did not. The booth will take place on September 27 & 28 during lunch, located at the white tables outside of Building 38 (between the office and picnic tables). There will be computers on which to register and students available to guide registrants through the process.

Whether or not you will be able to vote in the upcoming election, this gubernatorial race is certainly exciting. Here are some of the most compelling aspects of each platform:

Andrew Gillum plans to generate new revenue to pay for teacher and instructional staff pay increases and to reduce the mass incarceration of people with low-level drug offenses” through the legalization of marijuana. The tax revenue on marijuana would be allocated to these endeavors, which is a unique approach to increasing funding that does not decrease the funding of other programs. As the Democratic candidate in a nation with Republican President Trump and Governor Rick Scott in office, Gillum has approached this election without fear of Republican repercussions: It appears that he is using his liberal ideology to his advantage by acting as a haven for those who hate Trump and by sharing general Democratic viewpoints: environmental protection, gun safety, immigration, LGBTQ and women’s rights, et al.

Ron DeSantis, Navy veteran, has been backed by President Trump and is utilizing his support to better his campaign. Corresponding with President Trump, DeSantis aims to protect Florida’s nature: the Everglades, the beaches, the springs, etc. DeSantis also wishes to increase education funding; however, his focus is on increasing classroom spending and raising the ranks of Florida’s higher education institutions, rather than Gillum’s increasing of teacher pay. He is anti-Common Core and in support of students attending charter schools and using voucher programs, rather than attending public school. DeSantis also maintains core conservative beliefs, such as pro-life legislation, judicial restraint, Second Amendment rights, and banning illegal immigration.

In addition to the gubernatorial election, there is the congressional election, and several Brevard elections. To access the general amendments and referenda, click here.

About the Contributor
Taylor Rohleen, Editor-in-Chief

Student Body President. Captain of the Swim Team. FJCL Vice President. Dancing Queen.