Why You Should Not Rely on Other People

Mackenzie Moesly, Staff

Being a dependable person means you’re loyal, trustworthy, and reliable in a situation. This can be in school, work, or even just a friend group. Dependable people are very appreciated, because you can trust they will get something done, or you can just trust them in general.

I’m sure you can think of a time that you were in a group project and your partner wasn’t reliable, so you end up going solo. It puts an immense amount of stress on you trying to finish a group assignment by yourself. Then, the other person gets credit for your hard work, when they did nothing. Another example is if someone agrees to help you on something, they end up leaving you hanging, and now you’re forced to figure it out on your own. It truly is irritating to have to finish something last minute, because that person you thought was reliable decides not to help you.

If you have a job, you can probably remember that day your co-worker called in “sick” or “no call, no showed,” so you were summoned to work on your day off. This can be aggravating if you’re the only person who is able to come in, and you have plans that day, or you just need a break from working. Consider who your actions are affecting when you call out.

Be the dependable friend. It’s easier to get along with someone you trust and are actually reliable. It also makes you feel appreciated when someone believes you’re reliable. Your peers will be thankful if you work well in group projects and do the work equally.

Always communicate with others. If an issue comes up last minute and you can’t follow through with a favor, let the other person know. Be accountable for your mistakes and recognize that you neglected to help someone.