My Broadway Experience

Creative+Commons+Attribution-Share+Alike+4.0+International+License+
Back to Article
Back to Article

My Broadway Experience

Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License

Photo Credit Wikimedia Commons

Photo Credit Wikimedia Commons

Photo Credit Wikimedia Commons

Elena Perez, Staff

Have you ever been to the Big Apple before? If not, you should go to see their Broadway shows. The first time I went there was to celebrate my 14th birthday. During my first stay there, I saw two shows on Broadway: The Lion King and Wicked. The first show I saw was The Lion King, which was playing at the Minskoff Theater. It was a pretty exciting experience. The African costumes and setting was really amazing and I enjoyed the entire show.

Next thing I remember, I was crossing the Brooklyn Bridge with my family to get to the Gershwin Theater to see Wicked. Before the show, I got a big bag of Skittles at the concession stand in the theater’s lobby. During the first part of the show, my mom asked me to hand her the bag of Skittles, because she thought that I ate enough; being the good mother that she is, she knew that too much sugar would give me a stomach ache and not allow me to enjoy the show. My favorite parts were when both the main characters, Elphaba and Glinda sang “For Good,” and when the duo came for the final bows at the same time. The same goes for the Lion King, and the music for both curtain calls were amazing.

Four years later, we went back to New York to see Aladdin, Anastasia, and Frozen for my 18th birthday. On the night we saw Aladdin, we stopped by Chipotle to get a quick dinner, and then we made our way to the theater to see the show. The actor that played Genie was amazing, despite the fact that he wasn’t the original actor at the time. There was also a different actor for Aladdin, but he was just as impressive as the original.

The next day, we went to see Anastasia and had a quick lunch prior to the show so we could still get to the show on time. During the performance, I only recognized about two or three of the original actors, including Christy Altomare, who played the part of Anastasia. My favorite part was when she sang “Journey to the Past” in front of the entire audience. The entire show was so amazing that I couldn’t take my eyes off of the actors. The props, costumes, and set design were so elaborate that I felt like I was actually in the same European country where the show takes place. If I had to rate this show from 1 to 10, I would give it a 10!

The last show I saw was Frozen, and I was awestruck by the actors performance. I saw the original actress for Anna, and she did an amazing job on stage.  The actress for Elsa at the time was good too. They even had Jelani Alladin and Patti Murin, the original actors for Kristoff and Anna. The show was so amazing, that I even enjoyed their final bows. I really enjoyed seeing all of these shows, and I really hope that other people get the chance to enjoy these shows the same way I did.

About the Writer
Elena Perez, Staff

I love dogs and cats, and I've been in Digital Media for two years!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “My Broadway Experience”

1. Wes on October 8th, 2018 8:17 pm

Amazing story. Nice writing. It made me want to see all the plays you wrote about! Keep up the great work!

2. Ana Perez Corta on October 11th, 2018 4:40 am

Amazing description; I felt I was there! Very well written! Maybe you should be a theater critic! I hope you get to see many more shows and look forward to reading about them. Keep up the good job!

• My Broadway Experience

The State of the Bathrooms

• Opinion

How to: Move On

• My Broadway Experience

To the Polls!

• My Broadway Experience

What I Learned throughout My High School Years

• My Broadway Experience

The Nike Boycott

• Opinion

Hitting Crossroads with the New Crosswalks

• Opinion

Why Homecoming Is Better Than Prom

• My Broadway Experience

Developing Your Political Ideology

• Opinion

Why You Should Not Rely on Other People

• My Broadway Experience

The Reality of Birthdays

My Broadway Experience