Fall Expectations vs. Florida

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall Expectations vs. Florida

Pumpkins at the patch!

Pumpkins at the patch!

Photo Credit Shania Campbell

Pumpkins at the patch!

Photo Credit Shania Campbell

Photo Credit Shania Campbell

Pumpkins at the patch!

Shania Campbell, Staff

Have you ever anticipated how great fall will be, and then you remember that you live in Florida? It happens every year and a good number of Floridians forget that there’s no such thing as a progression from summer to fall. It’s as if summer continues and then, all of a sudden, winter makes an appearance. Here are a few expectations that people have when the fall season arrives versus the reality that Floridians face:

Temperature

Expectation: The temperature is the perfect median between freezing winter and boiling summer. It’s just right for PSLs from Starbucks.

Florida: The temperature maintains lots of heat and humidity until mid-December. It’s a bit colder than the summer―a mere 10 degrees―and you have to keep buying iced coffees instead of normal, hot coffee in order not to suffer in the heat.

Trees Shedding

Expectation: The leaves fall and create a golden blanket of orange, red, brown, and yellow on the ground. The trees look as if they’ve been painted in grand colors to match the hue of a sunrise.

Florida: Palm trees are everywhere in Florida and it’s very rare to see trees with natural fall colors. Sometimes, though, palm branches turn yellow before eventually turning brown, so at least there’s that.

Weather

Expectation: It’s windy and sunny at the same time, which creates a tranquil feeling. It’s not winter quite yet, so the sun stays for the fall season and shines on the colorful leaves.

Florida: With fall comes hurricane season and, instead of relaxing outside with a cool breeze, you have to go through the months hoping a hurricane doesn’t come and ruin your house.

Fashion

Expectation: The fashion trend for fall includes jeans, jackets, scarves, and boots to beat the cold and look stylish.

Florida: There are rarely any days to dress warm without sweating to death every time you go outside. Occasionally, there are brave souls that dress in jeans even in September, but, for the most part, unless it’s a random cold front, Floridians dress for the temperature.

Halloween

Expectation: The possibilities are endless when it comes to costumes. The weather is just cold enough to trick-or-treat or to a party without having to worry about being to hot or cold.

Florida: For the most part, you can’t dress as anything you want temperature-wise. Halloween parties are a bit better than trick-or-treating, because there’s air conditioning. But, whenever you did go, it was a hassle trying to find a costume that’s suitable for Florida.

About the Contributor
Shania Campbell, Staff

My name is Shania Campbell and I’m in my second year as a Telstar staff member. I’m a very secretive and quiet person with just about everyone, so,...