What I Learned throughout My High School Years

Satellite%27s+girls+lacrosse+team+
Satellite's girls lacrosse team

Satellite's girls lacrosse team

Satellite's girls lacrosse team

Makenzie Moesly, Staff

Looking back on my freshman experience, I wish someone would have told me a few things about being a highschooler. As a senior, these are some things I would’ve wanted to know as an underclassman.

1. No one cares. Stop overthinking everything you do. Most students are minding their own business, going through their own problems. They don’t care about how you dress or look, but, if they do, that’s their own problem. Wear what you want and do what you want. Don’t worry about what everyone else is thinking, because no one is going to remember what you wore or did once you graduate.
  2. Don’t trust everyone. Watch what you say around your peers, and only trust a few friends to keep your secrets. Also, if you’re in a toxic friendship, drop it. You don’t need to be associated with someone who brings you down about what you like, do, wear, etc.
  3. Get good grades and join clubs/sports. I wish, as a freshman, that I would have joined more clubs. Joining sports or clubs will allow you to make new friends. Plus, it looks good on college applications. It’s not “cool” to get bad grades or fail tests. Do well throughout the school year, so you don’t have to stress over your GPA or worry about getting up your grades at the last minute.
  4. Meet new people. Make as many new friends as you can, even if they go to different schools: Some of my best friends go to Eau Gallie and Cocoa Beach. Having great friends makes high school much more tolerant.
  5. Go to football games and school dances. Being with your friends and cheering on the football players is actually fun. Once you learn the game, it’s entertaining to watch. Go to at least one school dance, even if you don’t enjoy dancing. You get to dress nicely for one night and be with your friends.
  6. Stop worrying so much about having a girlfriend/boyfriend. Just because you don’t have a significant other doesn’t mean no one likes you. When the time is right that person will come. Remember that you’re in highschool, so chances are it’s not going to last. And honestly, most high school guys/girls aren’t that great anyways. You may just end up getting your feelings hurt and/or wasting your time on the wrong person.
  7. Don’t spend away your life on your phone. Go out and experience new things! Don’t be that person that is glued to their phone 24/7. When you get older, you’ll regret spending so much time glued to social media instead of going out and doing unfamiliar things. You’ll want to be able to tell stories about your high school experience, so go out and enjoy being a teenager while you can.

About the Writer
Makenzie Moesly, Staff

Hi I’m Makenzie, I’m a senior at Satellite High School and this is my third year as a Telstar staff member.  I love iced coffee and dogs. When I’m...