Daylight Saving Time: Is Florida Included?

Shania Campbell, Staff

Daylight savings time is nearly among us and one question still stands: Should Florida still participate in daylight saving?

Earlier this year, rumors spread that Florida isn’t going to be part of daylight saving time, simply because it makes the days shorter, creating much dismay with Floridians. They feel that just when the days get to be a good length, the clocks get set back or forward. Other states, including Arizona and Hawaii, stay out of daylight saving time, too. In colder states, the days are shorter already, so daylight saving helps adjust that problem. For the warmer states, on the other hand, the days are already a good length and changing the time would be fixing what isn’t broken.

The main issue with Florida leaving daylight saving is that the state is already divided into two different time zones. Most of the state is in the Eastern Time Zone (ET), while the western half of the panhandle is in Central Time Zone (CT). If Florida doesn’t participate in daylight saving, the portion of Florida currently in ET will have a completely different time zone than others, sharing the clock with Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Canadian Maritime. The other portion that’s currently in CT mesh with ET: Instead of watching the New Year’s Eve ball drop at exactly midnight, most of Florida will be celebrating at 1 AM.

A bill was passed through Congress not to participate in daylight saving, but Washington D.C. officials did not approve it in time. So, there’s currently no change to the daylight saving time schedule. The bill may be reintroduced to the national government next year, but, in the meantime, Florida will continue to change the clocks, in sync with the rest of the nation.

About the Writer
Shania Campbell, Staff

My name is Shania Campbell and I’m in my second year as a Telstar staff member. I’m a very secretive and quiet person with just about everyone, so,...