Photo Credit Emily Merritt
The 200 Medley Relay: (left to right) Quintin Cooper, Jacob Haight, Slater Sabel, Brody Ottoson.

Satellite Swim and Dive Dominates at Districts

November 5, 2018

The Satellite Swimming and Diving Team competed at the 2A District 5 Championship, scoring 3rd place overall for both girls and boys teams.

Senior and Women’s Team Captain Cassidy McKinnon opines, “I think, as a team, we performed better than predicted, which gives us a lot confidence going into Regionals.” The team had many strong seniors that graduated last season, so the team was expected to be significantly weaker this season. Despite these concerns, the Women’s Team only dropped from first to third place at Districts and the Men’s Team improved from fourth to third place.

Both teams began on a high note with the 200 Medley Relay: Consisting of Mckinnon, Brooke Boddy, Anisha Menashi, and Gabby Gillespie, the girls placed 4th; the boys placed 6th with the lineup of Slater Sabel, Quintin Cooper, Brody Ottoson, and Jacob Haight. The other relays performed equally well: Both 200 Freestyle Relays placed 5th. For the 400 Freestyle Relay, the girls placed 5th and the boys placed 4th.

Another strong race was the 200 Freestyle: McKinnon placed 6th, Eric Davidson placed 6th, and Jacob Haight placed 7th. For the 200 IM, Ashley Buxton came in 5th with a time of 2:28.40, with Gillespie following shortly after, placing 7th with a time of 2:31.32. The boys also swept this race. Ottoson raced a personal record of 2:21.80, scoring 6th; Cooper scored 8th with a time of 2:26.92; Justin Scheverak scored 9th with a time of 2:28.44. Ottoson is proud of his performance, as he “dropped 10 seconds from [his] previous best time.”

Following the 200 yard races were the 50 Freestyle, at which Colton Jones placed 4th and Rylan Andrews placed 8th, with times of 24.03 and 24.41, respectively. Satellite continued to wipe the competition in the 100 Butterfly: Menashi placed 5th, Buxton placed 7th, and Allison Gornto placed 8th. The lady power continued with Caitlin Bailey placing 5th in the 100 Freestyle. Thereafter, the longest of all the races began—the 500 Freestyle. Swimming the event in 6:11.15, Gornto placed 7th. This was a personal record for her, and she “can’t wait” to swim it at Regionals. The Satellite boys also conquered the competition, with Davidson placing 2nd, Sabel placing 4th, and Haight placing 7th.

The team’s depth carried through the meet as the individual freestyle events came to a close. McKinnon, Menashi, and Gillespie dominated the 100 Backstroke, scoring 2nd, 4th, and 8th. Sabel pulled the boys in this event, placing 4th with a time of 59.30. With the close of individual events came the 100 Breaststroke, with Boddy placing 6th and Cooper placing 10th.

Off the blocks, the Diving Team had a successful day: Freshmen Blake Rohleen and Tyler Jones are advancing to Regionals. Rohleen is seeded 13th and Jones is seeded 14th for the competition. Both boys are thrilled for the next meet and hope to perform as well as they did this time. At Cape Coast Conference, Rohleen had one failed dive, but he was able to avoid this at Districts. He is hoping “to have all successful dives at Regionals” and “is looking forward to the experience.”

For those advancing to Regionals, and those who are not, “Districts consisted of lots of fun and lots of personal records,” in the eyes of Lina Frohberg, Women’s Team Captain. Advancing to Regionals is the goal, but the most important person they raced were themselves: Swimming is about the improvement of oneself, and racing at Districts was the culmination of each person’s efforts and perseverance during the daily practices and weekly meets. Frohberg remarks, “I couldn’t think of a better way to end swim season.”

The Scorps are now preparing for Regionals at the Rosen YMCA Aquatic Center, which will take place on Friday, November 9th. Key components to preparing for Regionals are shaving and tech suits: It helps them to shave off time, literally. Gillespie “[loves] the feeling of being shaved and suited up. It gives [her] so much confidence heading into [her] races,” as the steps aid her in feeling prepared. Ottoson concurs, stating that “smooth legs make for a smooth time.”

These swimmers and divers are bound for smooth sailing at Regionals. Their intense practices all season have prepared them for the competition, and now it’s time to race.

What is your favorite stroke?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Photo Credit Emily Merritt