Giving Back This Thanksgiving
November 19, 2018
As we begin to feel the spirit of generosity and benevolence during the upcoming holiday season, you may want to give back. Donating food and goods to those who could use them and surely appreciate them is a great way to start. Below are some local areas to donate, as well as some areas in greater Florida.
Some things to keep in mind when giving…
- Food banks and pantries need volunteers as much as they need your food and goods.
- If the organization asks for goods instead of money, it is likely because the group the food is going to may not be able to do anything with the money if there are no stores available.
- Water is needed just as much as canned food items.
- Before taking food from your pantry, please check the expiration date to make sure it is still good. Refrain from donating foods you’ve had for longs periods of time.
- Please DO NOT donate to the Red Cross as they have been known to not get their items to their destination on time or don’t send them at all. Click here for an example.
- Remember that foods for babies are also in need.
- Please refrain from donating candies and too many sweets. Here is a list of non-perishable food items.
- Countries are still in effect from the recent hurricanes, so please keep these countries in mind when donating. The Florida Panhandle has suffered much damaged from the recent hurricanes, as well as other East Coast states.
- Many churches accept food donations. But if you’re giving money, be sure that it contributes to a group in need and not to their church.
- Almost anything helps! Don’t be afraid to contact whomever is in charge and see if they you can help with anything.
For more information, please visit Feeding America for questions on how food is distributed or to find a donation or volunteering center location near you!
Local Food Pantries and Organizations:
- Daily Bread Inc. – Melbourne
- Ascension Catholic Church – Melbourne
- Food Pantry Merritt Island Baptist Church – Merritt Island
Out of Area Food Pantries and Organizations:
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida – Orlando
- Treasure Coast Food Bank – Fort Pierce
- Leesburg Food Bank – Leesburg
- Catholic Charities of Central Florida – SEVERAL locations across the state
Recent Natural Disaster Information:
- Hurricane Michael Response – Volunteers with Team Rubicon are responding to Hurricane Michael and Florence in areas such as Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
- Best Ways to Help in the Aftermath of Hurricane Michael – For those who want to get involved, along with those who are victims of recent natural disasters.
- Wildfire Relief Fund – Information on how to help with the funds going toward the California Wildfires.
- How to help victims of the California wildfires