Top 8 Facts About Thanksgiving

Elena Perez, Staff

Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for the food that spread all over the dining table, including the traditional Thanksgiving turkey, cranberry sauce, and the beloved sweet potato casserole. Here are nine facts about this food-frenzied holiday.

• The first Thanksgiving was held in the autumn of 1861. The first Thanksgiving was a three day celebration that included 50 pilgrims and 90 Wampanoag Indians.
  • No forks were used at the first Thanksgiving. They weren’t a popular utensil until the 1700s!
  • Thanksgiving didn’t become a national holiday until 200+ years later. The lady who wrote the song “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” Sarah Josepha Hale, convinced President Abraham Lincoln in 1863 to make Thanksgiving a national holiday for everyone, after 17 years of writing letters to convince him to make it happen.
  • There is an annual National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation. Every single year, the President of the United States pardons a turkey and saves it from being eaten for Thanksgiving dinner.
  • Snoopy has appeared in the Macy’s Parade more than any other character as a balloon. The famous Snoopy balloon first appeared in 1968, making a total of 39 appearances before the Charlie Brown balloon was used as a replacement in 2016.
  • “Jingle Bells” was originally a Thanksgiving song. James Pierpont’s 1857 music piece, originally titled “One Horse Open Sleigh,” was a Thanksgiving song. The song was renamed “Jingle Bells” in 1859, because it became very popular around Christmas time.
  • Historians are not certain if turkey was eaten at the first Thanksgiving. The first Thanksgiving probably wasn’t served this fan favorite. The pilgrims could have eaten birds such as ducks, geese, and swans instead of the famous turkey.
  • Not everyone eats turkey on Thanksgiving. Only 88% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day, according to the National Turkey Federation.

And that is everything you need to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with your family.

About the Writer
Elena Perez, Staff

I love dogs and cats, and I've been in Digital Media for two years!