Top Ten Christmas Movies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top Ten Christmas Movies

Photo Credit CBS /Landov

Photo Credit CBS /Landov

Photo Credit CBS /Landov

Makenzie Moesly, Staff

Below are top ten must-see Christmas movies to watch during the holiday season.

1. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) – The Grinch comes down from his house on the mountaintop and sneaks into the town to steal everything Christmas related from the Whos. During his theft, he comes across Cindy Lou Who who interrupts his plan to ruin Christmas.
  2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1998) – The fantasy musical is a Christmas story with a Halloween twist. Jack the Skellington becomes bored with the same traditions of scaring people in the “real world”. As he encounters Christmas town,he plots to kidnap Santa Claus and take over his role.
  3. The Polar Express (2004) – This fantasy/adventure movie is about a young boy who takes a train ride to the North Pole as he is growing doubtful about Santa Claus. During the train ride we see his journey discovering that the curiosity of life doesn’t fade away for those who still believe.
  4. Elf (2003) – Buddy was sent to the North Pole as a child and raised by Santa’s elves. When he suddenly feels as if he doesn’t fit in, Buddy travels to New York to find his real father. After finding his father, watch the journey as naive Buddy and his father Walter Hobbs try to start a relationship, with disputes that come along the way.
  5. Home Alone 3 (1997) – A group of criminals lose a top-secret computer chip when it is disguised as a toy car and misplaced in the airport. On the pursuit of getting it back, it ends up in the hands of Alex Pruitt, a young boy who happens to be staying home because he’s sick. Alex then sets up a series of traps in his house to fight off the thieves in hopes of the police catching them.
  6. A Christmas Carol (2009) – Ebenezer Scrooge is miserable and thinks Christmas is nonsense. Scrooge meets a ghost that happens to be his late business partner, and warns him that three spirits will be visiting him. The ghost takes Scrooge on a journey through the past, present, and future of his life in hopes of changing his bitterness.  
  7. Jack Frost (1998) – After Jack Frost’s tragic car accident on Christmas day, his son Charlie plays a tune on Jack’s harmonica a year later. After playing the mournful song, the snowman in the lawn surprisingly comes to life and Charlie discovers it is his father. Given a second chance, Jack and Charlie make up for lost time.
  8. Frosty the Snowman (1969) – A magic top hat brings the snowman to life that a group of children made. Until professor Hinkle, a magician, wants it back and the temperature starts to rise. If the children cannot get Frosty away from the warm air, he will either melt or no longer be jolly.
  9. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) – A Charlie Brown Christmas is based off the popular comic strip Peanuts. Linus tells Charlie about the real meaning of Christmas and the Peanuts crew begins celebrating the joyful holiday.
  10. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) – George Bailey is going through many problems and is thinking about ending it all on Christmas. We see George’s past as the angels discuss it. As he is about to jump off a bridge, he ends up rescuing his guardian angel Clarence, who shows George what life would be like if he he hadn’t done good deeds throughout the years.
About the Writer
Makenzie Moesly, Staff

Hi I’m Makenzie, I’m a senior at Satellite High School and this is my third year as a Telstar staff member.  I love iced coffee and dogs. When I’m...