Stellar Scorps, Issue III

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stellar Scorps, Issue III

Bringing her smile to the orchestra.

Bringing her smile to the orchestra.

Photo Credit Reece Prospero

Bringing her smile to the orchestra.

Photo Credit Reece Prospero

Photo Credit Reece Prospero

Bringing her smile to the orchestra.

Lexi Rankin, Staff

Visualize being musically gifted, athletically inclined, achieving academic success, and embodying a creative passion. For Reece Prospero, she manifests this with hard work and a curious mind. Starting at a young age, Prospero developed a love for sports when playing in Police Athletic League Basketball from the fourth grade to the sixth grade. This ignited her competitive side. She decided to pursue club volleyball up until the 9th grade when she made Satellite’s Varsity Volleyball Team. After becoming enthralled with volleyball, Prospero was determined to expand her high school sports: Reece decided to give track and field a try, with an emphasis on pole vaulting. Soon after, she was hooked. Prospero explains, “I started pole vaulting because of how crazy it looked. I had to try it!”

Through the eyes of most, music is a standard of expression. Prospero spends hours on everyday warmups, practicing scales and music, bringing smiles to the cello section. One of Prospero’s most notable traits is her warm-hearted, down-to-earth image that is unwavering to the performing arts. Prospero values her well-spent four years in Symphonic Orchestra, at which she learned to play the cello. She is also has been in three years of Ten Tones, the highest chorus at Satellite High school.

Reece Prospero came about her artistic identity about three years ago while driving home from a road trip with her family. Coming across an advertisement for pan mining, she thought it would be an exciting activity to try with her family. Subsequently, they obtained all sorts of rocks and unique minerals. Prospero thought to herself, “What am I going to do with these rocks I had just mined?” As she was ruminating, Prospero began assessing wire and slowly forming wire trees, leaning that the smaller trees can be finished in one day, but the larger trees take a couple of days. With trial and error, she discovered the style she adored, stuck with it, and improved her art until she was completely satisfied and confident with it. Prospero’s artwork is produced with recycled materials. Being that her father is a mechanic, she uses leftover copper wire her father has from working on cars.

After high school, Prospero will be attending cosmetology school and wishes to own her own salon. Prospero believes managing her artwork business will greatly pertain to her future due to the skills she has acquired. “Just knowing how to manage my own business, I feel will really help me in the future.”

As Prospero’s exuberant high school career slowly comes to an end, her passion, achievements, and hard work will continue to guide her through life’s ventures.