Newly-required Financial Literacy Course in Florida

Shania Campbell, Staff

A new proposed bill would require high school students to take a financial literacy course in order to graduate.

If passed, the bill will go into effect on July 1, 2019, and will require students going into the 9th grade during the 2019-2020 school year to take the course. The requirement will be similar to HOPE and Career Research and Decision Making (CRDM) that all 9th-grade students are required to take in order to graduate.

The purpose of the course is to give students the knowledge of how to handle finances and they will learn about the following:

• Open and manage a bank account
  • Balance a checkbook
  • Complete a loan application
  • Compute federal income taxes
  • Contest an incorrect billing statement
  • Types of savings and investments
  • Basic principles of money management
  • Spending money
  • Credit
  • Credit scores
  • Managing debt

It has become a visible concern that so many students graduate high school without the basic knowledge for handling their finances. Currently, there are five other states that require a stand-alone course on financial literacy to graduate and sixteen other states that require a course on personal finance. The official contents of the bill can be viewed here.

Some students believe it should not be a required class. Sophomore Brielle Locke believes “financial literacy should be a part of the career class since they are both connected.” If financial literacy is included in the required career class, students could simply learn career for one semester and financial literacy for the second semester. Junior Whitney Jackim refers to how the currently required HOPE and CRDM classes are “useful, because they teach you basic skills and can help make wise decisions out in the real world.” Classes become required for students in order to help them learn certain things that are important for the real world, and knowing finances is a necessity for the real world.