1 Year after Parkland

Last Thursday, the 14th of February marked the 1 year anniversary of the Parkland, Florida shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Students and faculty at Stoneman Douglas commemorated this day by showcasing a video playing “a brokenhearted community engaged in good deeds inspired by those lost. Candles flickered as darkness descended over the crowd.” Jacob Mays, a sophomore at the school, states that “I’ve been kind of dreading [today].” He lost his friend Luke Hoyer last February. To celebrate Luke’s life, Mays and several other friends devoted the day him. “About one in eight students—about 400 out of 3,300—showed up at the Parkland school Thursday,” said broadcast journalism teacher Eric Garner. “It’s such a day of incredible mixed emotions,” he said. “There’s so much loss and so much strength that’s happened since then. So many people, their lifetime mission has come out of this moment.”

Since the shooting, there’s been numerous debate over gun laws and how to improve school safety. For instance, Satellite high has been increasing school security by implanting gates around the school. Students argue that they’ll just make it harder for students to get into school and simply attend their classes, but our principle Mr. Pruett plainly states, “Security isn’t convenient.”

A year later, during the middle of second period, Mr. Pruett read a brief statement on the shooting and then held a moment of silence following that. A another school in our district, Viera High, laid out 17 chairs with roses in their courtyard in honor of the lives lost.

The students and staff killed in their classrooms and hallways were Alyssa Alhadeff, 14; Scott Beigel, 35; Martin Duque Anguiano, 14; Nicholas Dworet, 17; Aaron Feis, 37; Jaime Guttenberg, 14; Christopher Hixon, 49; Luke Hoyer, 15; Cara Loughran, 14; Gina Montalto, 14; Joaquin Oliver, 17; Alaina Petty, 14; Meadow Pollack, 18; Helena Ramsay, 17; Alexander Schachter, 14; Carmen Schentrup, 16; Peter Wang, 15. May they never be forgotten.