Workout Ideas

For When You Want to Get Movin’ but Don’t Know What to Do

Back to Article
Back to Article

Workout Ideas

Group fitness at the Melbourne Athletic Club.

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen

Taylor Rohleen, Editor-in-Chief

A long day at school may leave you feeling wearisome, but fear not: Put on your tennis shoes, roll out your mat, grab your gear—simply get moving! Exercise, aside from the physical benefits, is a fantastic way to alleviate stress and cleanse the mind. If you’re unsure of where to start or want to shake up your routine, check out the following options:

Go for a Run

The most self-explanatory option, going for a run is an easy way to get in some cardio and fresh air if running outdoors. Personally, I much prefer our lush, tropical scenery over the views of the treadmill, but run whatever floats your boat! My favorite spots to stride are South Tropical Trail and the Melbourne Causeway. For a more plateaued terrain, I recommend running on Tropical Trail. You can park before or after Mathers Bridge, and the views are stunning. Watch out for incoming traffic, though, as the street is quite narrow. The Melbourne Causeway is also a good option if you’re seeking an uphill-downhill sort of run. Go on a day when the winds aren’t in full force, unless you have legs of steel.

Fitness on Fifth

This is a quaint studio on Fifth Avenue in Indialantic that features a variety of classes. My Hip Hop Fit with Jeannie is a lively way to tone your core and dance away your stresses. The instructor is a mom of four and still has abs, all due to utilization of her Focus Point Method. She teaches class on Monday and Tuesday at 7:30pm. I make sure to hit her class weekly, because my worries melt away the moment the music begins. There are several other class as well, so, if you like to dance, check out this studio!

Join a Gym

Gyms are versatile, since you can exercise alone or with friends. Whether you want to lift weights, do cardio, stretch, or try something new, the gym is the place to do it. Some beachside locations are South Beach Fitness and Planet Fitness, whereas Pro-Health & Fitness, Melbourne Athletic Club, and LA Fitness are options across the bridge. If you have military ID, you are eligible to work out at the gym on Patrick Air Force Base. A perk to joining a gym is that many offer group fitness classes, ranging from Zumba to cycling, so there is something for everyone here.

Join a Yoga Studio

Equally a physical and mental exercise, practicing yoga is a phenomenal way to tone your muscles and reach an inner tranquility. There are several yoga studios scattered throughout Brevard, so I would suggest sampling a few of them to find what style you most prefer.

Take a Bike Ride

Instead of taking a leisurely stroll, amp up the distance and cycle for a while. Just like running, biking up South Tropical Trail is a good option. Depending on the type of bike you have, adjust the seat and resistance to challenge yourself! You can also cycle using a machine at the gym, but the outdoor scenery beats this.

Hit the Water and Surf/SUP/Kayak

Instead of napping on the sand, grab a board and hit the waves! This option depends on the gear you have and the weather conditions, but it’s a fun suggestion nonetheless. The Banana and Indian Rivers are better suited for stand up paddleboarding and kayaking, since there are less commotion in those waters. Just be sure to select a day where the winds aren’t in full force, or else you’ll stay in the same spot the entire time.

Try Tabata/Circuit/Interval Training

If you can’t commit to the same exercise for an extended period of time, this is for you. Set up a sequence of exercises to accomplish under a set time or repetition interval. It’s versatile, as you can modify the exercises for strength or cardio training, and there are multitudes of examples online.

About the Contributor
Taylor Rohleen, Editor-in-Chief

Student Body President. Captain of the Swim Team. FJCL Vice President. Dancing Queen.