Why Teachers Need to Be Sensitive towards Anxiety

Should Teachers be More Aware that Students Have Anxiety?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jazzarie Dawkins

A day in the life of someone with social anxiety involves many restricting complications. If teachers and administrators were aware of those difficulties, students wouldn’t feel the way they do when coming to school. A lot of school assignments comprise of presenting work in front of the class, and if you have anxiety, that may be an obstacle for you. Most people may conclude that you’re shy or stubborn, but it’s a lot more than that. Someone with anxiety might experience sweaty hands, feelings of uneasiness, hard trouble breathing, constant worrying, and an inability to speak in front of a group of people. All of this, of course, can be avoided if school was shaped into an environment where people with anxiety could feel safe. Maybe if stress and anxiety disorder was brought to the attention of teachers and administrators, more could be done to make students feel comfortable when they come to school rather than feeling anxious and restless. If needed, students should have the opportunity to come into class ahead of time to present to the teacher instead of standing in front of an entire class. Since only the teacher is grading you, I don’t see why the entire class should have to watch if they have no input on your grade. A common excuse someone might give as to why we do certain activities in class is that we are going to use these skills as adults; however, there are plenty of jobs and occupations that don’t include talking in front of a group of people, and most jobs have human resources that ensure the comfort of their employees. Another resolution for students who have anxiety is that they could do another assignment which still includes the concepts being learned in the lesson. So not an entirely different assignment, just a supplement that would stand in for sharing in front of a class. This isn’t necessarily making more work for the teachers because instead of the students presenting, they’re reflecting everything they’d say into an assignment. In conclusion, students possessing such qualities would prefer if teachers understood what they deal with on a day to day basis.